Digital Citizenship deals with safety, rights & responsibilities, etiquette, literacy and other issues we face while living in a digital age. As educators, we have a responsibility to the children we teach to keep them safe from inappropriate content, unsafe websites, and from others who may compromise the children's privacy.
This becomes a huge issue in schools where internet access is attained at will by wireless technology (practically everywhere now!). We've set up rules for internet usage, but enforcing becomes the difficult problem when students have almost unlimited access to content at home as well. This is an area where we need to stay focused on what our expectations are concerning good citizenship.
Charlotte, I will help you focus on digital citizenship during September. Let's do this!
ReplyDeleteIn addition, I think we need to include parents in our digital citizenship and online safety piece.
Way to go on completing your 11 Tools! I am here to help you, so please ask. Looking forward to "Learning on the Wild Side" with you in 2010-2011!